Wednesday 16 October 2013

Throwing Out Ideas


Throwing Out Ideas

It's been a while since I was sat in an English lesson coming up with anything creative, I left school about 18 months ago and I had no real interest in imaginative writing. Here's the strange thing though. I think I was good at it. I have what I consider to be an incredible active imagination, which I believe stems from my years as a gamer... I started playing video games at a young age and was taken by them instantly. I love sitting. Thinking. Just about crazy ideas of where I'd like to be in five years time, ten years time. It passes time and I find it fun.

I think the key to having a creative mind is to not limit yourself by what you think to be logical. Letting ideas just flow no matter how ridiculous they are should be important, because if you restrict yourself you're more likely to miss that idea that's good. I've no idea where this book of mine will take me but what I do know is that it's likely to change an awful lot as it develops. That's the beauty of it. I'll be in charge.

I'm starting to throw out ideas in my spare time, no matter what I'm doing I'm drawing inspiration at the moment; the project seems like it's constantly around me. For example, I was walking home earlier and the moon was virtually full in the sky, not hindered by clouds or light. Instantly my mind starts to wander into a forest opening with a camp fire in the middle, logs around the outside and a tent just to the left. The logs supporting campers, people. Individuals. Those that live their life in the open, telling jokes and having a drink, just passing time with each other. A life that's completely organic. With this you could hone in on any couple of people and follow that lifestyle, write about encounters with a storm or an animal, or talk about the reason how they came to be travelling so often. What you've got to remember is that the ideas were just flowing, and I took it all from the moon. If I simply focused on getting home because it was cold I wouldn't have come across that.

I want to keep doing this. I've yet to set up the software that will get me writing on this computer, so for now I'm in the idea gathering stage. Throwing ideas out there to see what works. I think I've decided on a genre and the type of protagonist that I'm after. It could change though. We'll see how I feel. 
Going to keep updating this whenever I can.
-Rue

No comments:

Post a Comment