Monday 21 October 2013


Prologue

So I wanted to set the scene for this idea I had been throwing around. I spent most of the other night writing out what I'd consider to be the start of a story, and I thought it was good. I had set up some strong sounding characters and had ideas as to where they could be taken throughout the book, even stretching it into a few books perhaps. Then it hit me. The very moment I thought to myself "this could be more than one book" I realised this story is probably too deep, too complicated and too long for me to write. Not that I don't think I could eventually do it, but I feel I'd be caught up in it trying to understand it myself and would never finish it.

I changed it up, deciding to strip it of all depth and keep it simple and tantalizing; introducing only one character instead of five and removed dialogue completely. Reading it back, it fits about half a page instead of four and probably works much better.

I'm satisfied with it. For now. No doubt it will change in no time at all and I'll make some adjustments; I have no reason to rush this project and don't intend on doing so. Any work I put into it is purely in spare time and out of passion.

-Rue

No comments:

Post a Comment