Monday 2 December 2013

I love my characters





I Love My Characters

Lawrence and Louise were placeholder names. I put them there because it's what just popped into my head, I started with Lawrence because that's what I wrote about first, and I knew I wanted there to be a lovely lady for him to be coming back to. The name sounded good to me at first, and I rolled wit hit. It wasn't until I looked back after the first chapter that I decided I couldn't bare to change their names. Why? I'd become attached to them.

It happened real quick. The idea of two thieves who'd been separated for five years that had just got back in contact grasped me, and within the first chapter it's evident that there's an incredibly strong connection between the two of them, and trying to envision something different or fiddling with that seemed wrong to me. Not only that, but when I was out and and about thinking up the story that these two were going to go down, I started developing their character traits and fleshing them out. Cocky, sweet, erratic, erotic, smooth and a whole long list of traits started coming to mind and I started visioning them in different scenarios. Scenarios that may have taken place several years before we jump into the story, and some that could take place several years after.

The more I get involved with this project, the more I take it seriously and the more emotionally connected to it I become, I just want to throw it out for everyone to read and hopefully enjoy. I've started talking about it more openly over the past few days, several people in my area are away of this project, and I've started embracing an online following for it, which seems to be proving positive. I don't believe however that what I want to achieve is easy. I feel like I should push for digital self publishing, but something's pulling me towards traditional publishing, which is were the proper challenge comes to fruition. I've started doing my research and I'm putting the feelers out there. It'll happen.

Thought I'd just have a short ramble about that. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment